Wednesday, March 11, 2009

blog 8

Title: Why are all the churches blue?
Body: This is the question as we pulled up to our 3rd straight village with a light blue church right next to the dock. This village had a steep stairway from the dock up to it. Almost all the villages are this way because of the rise and the fall of the river. We first got the dentist, optometrist, and pharmacy set up. Then we got the VBS running and then we got some teams walking throughout the village to tell people about the 5PM gathering. It is starting to become a "routine" for us. Many students are switching in and out through teams to experience everything.
 
The story of this village was the kids. Over 200 kids showed up for VBS. This is not normal. Some other trip leaders that I had met in the past 6 months as I prepared for this trip told me they never had any more than 100. Our numbers have been 300, 125, and 200.
 
We pulled out the balloon launchers for the first time today. I was a little bit worried about how this was going to work. If the kids saw the balloons, we were dead, and the mob would take over, but we thought it was way too cool to not do. So, the students collected the students in to 2 groups in a field. Each group put their hands on a big white sheet while others waited to see if the game was going to be to their liking. Then, the leaders told them to catch the balloon. On the other end of the field, the leaders set up 2 launching stations with over 100 balloons. Literally, every time a balloon was launched a roar came from the crowd. This kind of contraption had never been imagined or seen. Pretty soon, we have 100 passer-bys that were watching the fun. It was such a hit and a great way to bring something new in to our program. Everything is a competition (atleast to me) and the team of Nico, Michael, Sawyer, and Sierra beat our launcher team 15-11 in getting the balloons to be caught in the sheet.
 
I continue to amazed  what great leaders our students are. I had to tend to an pressing need on the boat and had to change our schedule of construction. I had about a 30 second team meeting and these students were on it! I came back 45 minutes later and saw the most amazing sight. Somehow, they created a game where they were commanding the kids to tackle whosever name they called. Image 200 screaming kids at the command of college students. As I walked up, I heard the scream, "PB!", and was first encouraged that my arrival was met with such joy. I soon realized that my name was not the object of affection, but the call of the next target and I was soon tackled by 200 kids. After I gave up and the next target was being pursued, I asked our student how they did that. All parents of young kids want to know.
 
We have our normal service that night and continued to be amazed by the folks deciding to accept Jesus as their savior. Maddy gave her testimony and did a great job. I gave the message and decided that I am not going to speak anymore. We have too many leaders on this boat, and I have decided that any leadership that I take is simply taking it away from opportunities for students. So, someone else is going to give the sermon/gospel message tomorrow night.
 
We got back on the boat for dinner right as another American boat full of American business men came to look at land to invest in building a church.
 
Our schedule has changed for tomorrow. Our original plan was to be in the same village tomorrow, but we have decided to shove on and be at the next village by tomorrow., and Friday morning, we will begin the 24 boat ride back to Manaus.
 
At our meeting tonight, I asked who was tired. It was not a real question as we are all completely worn out and do not have any more non-sweaty t-shirts (some go through 3 t-shirts in a day). We have worked so hard and are ready to finish strong tomorrow and leave it all of our energy there.
 
We are looking forward to the ride back because our team has become so close. We have been so busy and long for time for us to just play together, and I think there will be some serious napping.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment