Thursday, June 25, 2009

June 25, 2009

June 25, 2009

GPS Coordinates,

Look us up on Google Earth or Google Maps!

S 03.05.522

W 057.41.393

Dear Friends,

This email is coming a few days late… because it is an update about Tuesday, but today is actually Thursday. In fact we just sent the email update about Wednesday. I felt the need to go back and document June 23rd, 2009 because is was the greatest birthday that I have ever had. Yes, yes this is Alisha Altman. I am the luckiest person on this boat. I just celebrated my 26th birthday.

The day started with the most beautiful sunrise full of indigo skies, and a light tangerine tint to the horizon. It felt like the most perfect gift from God on my birthday. That morning we had another amazing breakfast full of French toast and pancakes, but the best part was the deliciously fresh papaya and pineapple (along with much more… It was time for us to go to the Village, and I was ready to do the work of the Lord. A few of us went to a Village down the river to take a peak at the water well that we dedicated to Tom Bailey on June 24th. The boat ride was interesting and a little bumpy to say the least. The other people went into the Village to search for "Devine Appointments" make by life's "Great Orchestrator."

One of my brothers in Christ was walking around the Village and found just such an appointment. He was in the presence of a man that was his same age, and actually looks quite a bit like him as well. The man was drinking rubbing alcohol to get drunk (this is because liquor is too expensive, and difficult to find). Matt was so moved by this man's desperation to escape reality that he started to share with him his own previous struggle with drinking. The connection of one problem that two men from different worlds shared almost moves me to tears as I write. The connection united these two men through Christ for life. Later that evening Matt shared his testimony at church, and the man from earlier accepted Christ into his life. All in the room electrically felt the experience. The Lord's presence was felt in everyone that day.

As we went back to the boat we shared parts of our day. My own personal story was that walking through the Village reminded me so much of the place my dad grew up. The children reminded me of myself when I was little. This place is half a world away, but I feel home! I am not sure what the means for my life, but living open-handedly for God brought me that Best Birthday of my life… I con only imagine what else he has planned for me, and everyone else on this boat.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Alisha (and all your crew!!)! I am so glad to hear what an inspirational birthday you had!! Happy bday, see you when you get back!! God bless you all as you do His work!
    ~~Kat

    ReplyDelete